Blueberry French Toast submitted by mkcheri
1. Cut into 1" cubes: 12 slices day-old white bread
2. Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 9"-x-13" baking dish.
3. Cut into cubes: 2 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese
4. Place cream cheese cubes over bread.
5. Top with: 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
6. Sprinkle remaining bread cubes on top.
7. In a large bowl, beat together: 12 eggs 2 c. milk 1/3 c. honey or maple syrup
8. Pour egg mixture over bread.
9. Cover and chill for 8 hours, or overnight.
10. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
11. Cover and bake at 350 degrees (F) for 30 minutes.
12. Uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until golden brown and center is set.
13. For sauce, combine in a medium saucepan: 1 c. sugar 2 T. cornstarch
14. Add: 1 c. water
15. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
16. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
17. Stir in: 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
18. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until blueberries have burst.
19. Stir in: 1 T. butter or margarine
20. Stir until butter is melted.
21. Serve sauce over French toast.
Note: Bottled blueberry syrup can be substituted for the homemade sauce.
And it reheats well too - I will sometimes make a double batch just for leftovers.
Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast submitted by KKM
This is a great brunch recipe, it's perfect for large gatherings. A yummy bread casserole baked with sweet apple filling.
Prep Time: approx. 20 Minutes.
Cook Time: approx. 1 Hour 30 Minutes.
Ready in: approx. 15 Hours
Makes 1 - 9x13 inch pan (15 servings)
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
20 slices white bread
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
2 Spread the sugar mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the apple pie filling evenly over the sugar mixture. Layer the bread slices on top of the filling, pressing down as you go. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla. Slowly pour this mixture over the bread, making sure that it is completely absorbed. Cover the pan with alluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
3 In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4 Place covered pan into the oven and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 60 to 75 minutes. When done remove from oven and turn on broiler.
Remove foil and drizzle maple syrup on top of the egg topping; broil for 2 minutes, or until the syrup begins to caramelize. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes, then cut into squares. Invert the pan onto a serving tray or baking sheet so the apple filling is on top. Serve hot.
Slowcooker Breakfast submitted by KKM
4 medium-sized apples, peeled and sliced
¼ cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups granola cereal
Place apples in slow cooker and mix in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours (overnight) or on high 2-3 hours. Serve with milk.